Friday, May 20, 2011

First Day At Rider

Wednesday I went to Rider, and I absolutely loveeddd it! From 3-6 Dr. Cottingham and I discussed the study more in depth and as she explained the assignments I would have for the day, we also talked a lot about the field of psychology as a whole. We discussed the whole situation with Mr. Stern from a psychological perspective. We talked about how this event may affect children in the school, teachers at the school, and even the psychological aspects that make people do things such as Mr. Stern. Dr. Cottingham also described a career path that I think I am now interested in. There was a psychologist that came to speak to parents at the school, and as her profession she utilized both developmental and forensic psychology (which are the two main fields I am interested in, but because they are very different I never thought I could mix them). As a career she talked to victims of molestation and rape (often kids and teens) as well as talking to the criminals that committed the crimes against them. She goes to court and often speaks on the cases. I use to want to be a lawyer as well so this unique profession really grabbed my attention.

Once I began my independent work, I was evaluating anonymous surveys for the study, stamping them so that we could classify them by numbers rather than names, copying new surveys, filing and organizing the already completed surveys, and enveloping blank surveys. Although this wasn't as fun as the first part of the day and took me hours to do all of them, I knew that it was extremely important.

Finally, Dr. Cottingham showed me how to use a program called FFS, which I will have to log all the data into eventually and on Monday/ Wednesday I will have to catagorize all of the data with.

No comments:

Post a Comment